A cystic acne breakout is characterized by pus-filled red bumps that can be noticeably larger than your usual pimple or acne.
Usually it is painful and frustrating for the people who experience them. There are a lot of remedies or ointment for cystic acne that are available commercially. Most of the time, these remedies can be costly or expensive. However, there can also be cystic acne home remedy that can be used to help relieve or prevent cystic acne breakouts.
The usual causes of cystic acne
Similar to your typical acne, the definite causes of cystic acne cannot really be pinpointed to one single cause or explanation. You have the usual pimple or acne causes like the over-accumulation of dead skin cells and dirt on the skin, excessively active oil glands and bacteria that cause acne.
These factors can also affect the occurrence of cystic acne. Cystic acne can also be hereditary. If cystic acne runs in the family, then you are more likely to experience cystic acne.
Other factors include stress, too much washing of the skin as this may cause irritation, hormonal changes due to pregnancy, puberty or menstruation, poor diet, and lack of proper skin care.
Cystic acne remedies you can use at home
There are several home remedies that are prescribed for cystic acne. Not all may work for one person as the results may be different for different people. Below are the common home remedies for cystic acne.
- Mix baking soda and water to form a cream and apply on the affected area. Leave on for a few minutes and wash off with warm water. Do this daily or twice a day. Baking soda has anti-bacterial properties that help relieve skin acne.
- Adding sea salt to your baking soda and water mix is also helpful in alleviating cystic acne.
- Applying a natural clay mask to the face can help in the healing process.
- Steaming the face for a few minutes at least twice a week helps clear pores and helps in relieving cystic acne.
- Apply egg whites on affected area and wash off with warm water. Egg white has been known to aid in the healing process.
- Mix crushed aspirin and water to form a cream and apply on affected area. Then wash off with warm water and apply honey on affected area. Honey has anti-bacterial properties.
- Mix lemon juice and water to relieve inflammation from cystic acne breakouts.
- You can add mango to your lemon and water mix. Applying on the affected area helps relieve cystic acne.
- You can also just use a mango paste (without the lemon). Yellow and orange fruits and veggies are known to be good for the skin.
- Apply a small amount of toothpaste on affected area. Toothpaste is also helpful in relieving inflammation from cystic acne.
- Tea tree oil also helps relieve inflammation from cystic acne.
- Apply a small amount of aloe vera on affected area. Aloe vera is also known for helping in the healing process.
- Apply apple cider vinegar to the area to help prevent breakouts.
Aside from these home remedies, it is also important to practice proper skin washing. Always remove makeup at the end of the day and before sleeping. Use gentle face wash regularly. Avoid greasy or oily products on the face or skin. Also make sure to eat a healthy diet.
You can experiment and try any cystic acne home remedy mentioned above to identify which remedy will work for you. The home remedies mentioned above can help alleviate or prevent cystic acne, but results can vary from person to person.
It is still best to consult your doctor or dermatologist right away if you are experiencing cystic acne.